Balance one penny on the edge of a table. Place your index finger on a second penny, then flick the second penny so that it travels off the table, while the first penny is gently nudged off the edge. It may take a few practice trials to be able to do this effectively.
- Predict which penny will land first, the penny moving horizontally or the one that simply drops off the table. Explain.
- what will happen if you increase the speed of the second penny?
- What if you increase the height from which the pennies are dropped?
- Does horizontal spoed of the flicked penny affect the impact times of the pennies?
- What can you say about the time to hit the floor for each penny?