A whale swims due east for a distance of 8.0 km in a time of 2.50 h. It then turns around and moves west for 2.0 km in a time of 0.50 h. It turns around again and heads 4.0 km due east in a time of 1.00 h.
- What is the total distance travelled by the whale.
- What is the total displacement?
- What is the average speed for the entire trip?
- What is the average velocity for the entire trip?
- There are five quantities discussed in this question: distance, displacement, time, speed, and velocity. Which of these are scalars and which are vectors?